Saturday, February 18, 2012

New crew members? You bet we've got new crew members.

So as it turns out, running the financial side of things - Kickstarter and associated rewards, ticketing, front of house, taxes, reimbursements, all that stuff - takes a whole bunch of time.  I really didn't realize just how much time it was going to take.  Now I know, and as it turns out I was stupid to think I could do that AND prop design on top of acting in the play.

That means I have to step down from prop design.  Well, that's not fair to Andre, because even though he's a very talented dude, that's a lot for him to worry about.  I'd already been thinking that we could use a dedicated special effects guy; despite the fact that the movie is horrible in so many ways, there ARE some special effects, and we want to translate those to the stage in a big, beautiful way.  On top of that, we needed to start looking for dedicated stagehands in the near future.

Luckily for me, Columbia is crammed full of talent.  And luckily for me, I know a whole lot of those talented people.  I'd already been thinking of these two guys for special effects and prop design, but I knew they were both really busy and I didn't figure I'd be lucky enough to actually get them for the play.  As it turns out, I was wrong - they expressed an interest to Chris, and we officially brought them on board this week.

So welcome Sam VonCannon and J.J. Shepherd to the crew.  Sam will be doing special effects and prop design, and J.J. will be doing prop design along with designing some of the set pieces we'll be using to make everything look just as Ed Wood would have wanted it if he'd staged his movie as a play.  They'll also be doing all the behind-the-scenes stuff with UFOs, just doing all kinds of crazy stagehand stuff.

Both of these guys are insanely skilled at what they do, and we're all really glad to have them on board.  Combined with Andre, all three of them are basically my dream team when it comes to stuff like this.  So, yeah.  This is going to be awesome.

I continue to think that I couldn't possibly be more stoked for this show, and then things like this happen to make me MORE stoked.  Eventually I am going to just have a heart attack.  I hope I don't have a heart attack.  That would be awful.  But possibly unavoidable, if things continue this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment