Sunday, January 15, 2012

In the Beginning...

Years ago, while revisiting Ed Wood's undisputed masterpiece, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space', for the 19th time, it dawned on me that the backdrops and situations presented were uniformly simple enough that you could feasibly produce this story as a live action play. With all the hilariously bad dialogue, cheap sets, and terrible special effects intact.

As bad as it is, 'Plan 9' is a cinema classic, in my opinion. And I consider Edward D. Wood, Jr, to be a misunderstood genius, who was born too soon. In this day and age, he might have been an independent film giant, right alongside the likes of David Lynch and John Waters.

Far from being 'The Worst Movie Of All Time', 'Plan 9' is like an ugly puppy that you can't help but love.

In truth, I just wanted to be in it - be a part of it - inhabiting Ed Wood's strange universe.

Live in it.

Recreate it.

Leave my handprint on it, while remaining true to Ed Wood's original vision.

I set the idea aside in my mind and went on with my life.

Fast forward several years, to the rehearsals for the live action version of 'Reservoir Dogs', directed by Scott Means, and starring myself as Mr. Blonde, and my friend Nick Dunn as Mr White.

One night, between shootouts, the backstage discussion inevitably turned to the pros and cons of Movie-To-Stage adaptations.

"I always wanted to do a live version of 'Plan 9 From Outer Space", I told Nick.

Nick's response, as his face lit up, was beautiful in its inspiration and simplicity.

"That would be totally amazing! Why don't you do it?"

Suddenly that question wouldn't leave me alone. And neither would the answer, which was essentially, "There's no reason not to."

After further logistical talks with Nick, and with the encouragement of several other people, the idea quickly became a plan. Then the plan began to take definitive shape on paper, and in reality.

During a meeting-of-the-minds lunch with our mutual friend, Chris Bickel, the subject was brought up, to his enthusiatic approval. When asked if he wanted to be involved in the production, his reply was "Can I be Criswell?" - and our deal with the Dark Lord was done.

Now, here we are, months later - the perfect performance space secured, auditions over, personnel and cast being determined as of this writing, and we are now finally on our way, firmly poised on the precipice of Outer Space, putting the 9th Plan into action...

No comments:

Post a Comment